Freelancer is a space trading and combat simulation video game developed by Digital Anvil and published by Microsoft Game Studios. It is a chronological sequel to Digital Anvil's Starlancer, a combat flight simulator released in 2000.
In the game, players take on the roles of spacecraft pilots. These characters fly single-seater ships, exploring the planets and space stations of 48 known star systems. They also engage in dogfights with other pilots (player- and computer-controlled) to protect traders or engage in piracy themselves. Other player activities include bounty-hunting and commodity trading. The single-player mode puts the player in the role of Edison Trent, who goes through a series of missions to save the Sirius sector from a mysterious alien force. In multiplayer mode, players are free to take on any role and to explore anywhere from the start.
- Run installation as Administrator (will appear to crash otherwise)
- Install official No-CD patch from here (game won't run on windows 10 otherwise)
- Install 2x patches , patch 1 - official, patch 2 - unofficial these patches enable widescreen mode and greatly improve graphics.
- Right click the shortcut to Freelancer, click properties, add "-windowed" to target (no quotation marks) to force running windowed (Game rotatation is incorrect otherwise)
- In game settings set resolution to 1280 x 720, all graphics settings can be set to max easily.
- Using RivaTuner limit max frames per second to 60 (game doesn't limit FPS, limiting FPS saves battery)
- Using Windowed Borderless Gaming set game to be borderless, specify resolution of 1280 x 720 or game will have top and bottom slightly off screen. Mark Manage mouse & lock to game window.
Controller profile (xpadder)
Download controller profile for xpadder here. This profile work with the controller downlodable from here. (Same as available on xpadder page). For those that want to configure themselves see image below
The game runs excellently (180 fps uncapped) and can even be run with turboboost disabled (99% max performance setting). Expect 6+ hours of gameplay.